Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Sin and Suffering

I was listening to two separate teachings recently by John Piper that were recommended to me (links are below). They both dealt with suffering and the problem of evil, but from slightly different angles. One of the points really stuck in my mind, which is what I wanted to mention here.When man sinned and all of creation was cursed as a result - suffering, death, disease, natural disasters, and every other abhorrent thing we can think of, came into the world. Ever since, creation has been longing to be restored (Romans 8:19-22).

The popular question when tragedy strikes is "How could a loving God allow this to happen?". I think God is being terribly misunderstood. This world was created in perfect condition. It was only the sin of man that caused it's destruction. Every tragic event we witness can be traced back as resulting from the sin of mankind. God is simply allowing mankind to see the results of it's own sin. It's easy to blame God and not point the finger at ourselves. It's so easy to trivialize our own sin. I believe He wants us to realize the severity of sin and it's results. He could've simply left the world in the fallen state that we have caused it to be in, but instead He provided a way to redeem mankind. Christ suffered more than any human being ever will and paid the price for all of our sins - past, present, and future.

God longs to restore our relationship with Him and forgive us, but like a true gentleman, He won't force Himself on us. We choose to follow His rules, or to disobey them - and if we're disobedient and have to face the consequences, somehow it's God's fault? God has paid the ultimate price to restore our relationship with Him and we choose to humbly accept it, or ungratefully reject it. God is both merciful and just. The path you choose will determine which side of God you will see most clearly.

John Piper: The Suffering of Christ and the Sovereignty of God
John Piper: UCF sermon on evil

1 comment:

SlowBro said...

I love the Bible's answer to the problem of evil; completely floored me and I don't think atheists have a clue.

I actually posted the two sermons you linked into an atheist forum. I get very weary debating them (seriously, I get physically tired) and so I just posted and ran, intending to come back months later to read the fallout. I'll bet they were stumped :-)

"Why do bad things happen if God is good and all powerful?" Voddie Baucham said, "Ask me the question correctly and I'll tell you the answer." :) What does he mean? Check out this 5 minute video clip.

Another really good short video clip.